Care more than some think is wise. Risk more than some think is safe. Dream more than some think is practical. Expect more than some think is possible. -The Missionary Heart

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas musings

Working at a retail store, you get to meet all kinds of people - especially during the holiday season. Many are joyful and are excited to share the season of giving with friends and family. Others take it upon themselves to show up their rich friends by giving extravagant gifts they can't afford, while others are so focused on gift-giving that they forget the reason for the season. I often get very frustrated, because I tend to take the stresses of others onto myself - healthy, I know.

Still, during this time of year I always like to take stock of what's really important in my life. I have so many blessings, that it's hard to for me to understand why anyone could hate the holiday season. I have my health, a wonderful family and incredibly faithful friends.

One thing that I love about the holidays is the food! This might be something somewhat superficial to be thankful for, but I absolutely love all the goodies that are cranked out during the Christmas season. My dad in recent years has discovered a love for baking. Two Christmases ago, he cranked out over 200 cookies and probably 10 pounds of peppermint bark. I was in sugar heaven, though I don't believe my hips appreciated this so much. My in-laws always love having people over for dinner, but the holidays are particularly special - there are tons of food, and lots of love around the table.

In order to include Evan in the holiday festivities, my entire family likes to make sure that Evan has food he can eat. My mom made Chex mix this year using only rice and corn Chex. My dad is going to make two turkeys for Christmas Eve dinner - one with regular stuffing and one with gluten free stuffing. My aunt always puts croutons on the side of the salad so that he doesn't have to pick them out.

I guess the reason I love food really, though, is the interesting power it has to bring people together. Haven't you noticed how people are always gathered at the hors d'oeuvres table? At least that's what happens in my family. Eating and talking. Sometimes playing games, sometimes poking fun at each other, but there is always love.

No comments:

Post a Comment