Care more than some think is wise. Risk more than some think is safe. Dream more than some think is practical. Expect more than some think is possible. -The Missionary Heart

Monday, September 12, 2011

Fusilli with Mahi Mahi and Broccoli


When I got home from class today, I was having a craving for Mexican food. However, since we didn't have any diced tomatoes with green chilies, I thought I should figure something else out (I love to mix refried beans with diced tomatoes and green chilies).

Well, since I couldn't get Mexican food out of my head, I decided to thumb through a cookbook that my aunt gave me a few years ago. I haven't cooked much out of it because many of the recipes require either a lot of ingredients or a lot of time, and I generally do not have either of those things.

Luckily, I stumbled across a pasta recipe that sounded simply delightful - Fusilli with Monkfish and Broccoli. I scanned the ingredients, and I realized that I had all the ingredients to make the recipe with a few modifications.

Upon completion of the recipe, Evan and I sat down to eat. With the steaming pasta sitting in front of me, I felt like life was complete. It has been a long time since I made pasta with homemade sauce other than spaghetti sauce, so I was very excited to try something new. We were amazed at how my experimentation yielded such a delightful dish.

So, I've decided to pass along the recipe with my modifications to you. It's a wonderful combination of gluten free whole grains, fish and vegetables. By the way, the picture is of the leftovers. I'm sorry that I don't have a more appetizing shot for you! I was more focused on eating it that photographing it when it was done!

Ingredients

4 oz broccoli, divided into florets
3 tbsp olive oil
12 oz mahi mahi fillet, skinned and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 garlic crushed, crushed
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup corn starch
14 oz brown rice fusilli
Parmesean cheese

Directions

1. Divide broccoli into small sprigs. Boil broccoli for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water, set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add mahi mahi, garlic and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until fish is opaque. Pour in white wine, yogurt and corn starch. Cover and cook until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in broccoli.
3. While the sauce is cooking, cook brown rice fusilli according to package directions. Drain and place back into cooking pot. Add sauce and stir. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment